Business unit capacity set to reach 1 billion cans a year.
São Paulo, August 7, 2017 – JBS Embalagens Metálicas has just purchased three new production lines for its Lins (SP) unit, investing over R$ 15 million. They lines are: luncheon meat cans, extruded cans (for products like sardines and tuna) and cans for vegetables, tomato-based products, etc. The luncheon meat cans will be for export only, but the other two types of can will be sold at home and abroad. The operation is part of the business unit’s expansion strategy to better serve the foodstuffs market (meats, vegetables, coffees, dairy, jams, animal feed and fish products, etc.). The new production lines will be delivered by the end of the year.
“The lines will help us increase our market share, without rising to around 1 billion cans a year in 2018, around 40% higher than the company’s estimate for this year – an expressive gain for the business”, said Marcelo Jorcovix, director at JBS Embalagens Metálicas. The company expects to produce 700 million cans this year.
JBS Embalagens Metálicas is currently one of Brazil’s largest companies in this industry. Following acquisition of the production lines, 40% of sales will come from JBS and the remaining 60% from the market. Previously, only half of revenues were generated by outside customers.
The business unit supplies cans to package products requiring protection against physical, chemical and biological interference, including both food products and a range of aerosols for a wide range of sectors.
“Metal packaging is considered highly sustainable as it is 100% recyclable and can be returned to market without “downcycling”, when the material is transformed into a product that has a lower value than the original version by recycling”, said Jorcovix.
Acquired in 2016 at a cost of around R$ 22 million and considered one of the most modern lines in the world, the JBS Embalagens Metálicas aerosol line is celebrating its first anniversary. Over the past year, the business has consolidated its position and has received investments so it is able to produce all the cans and components it markets by the end of 2018. “This year alone, we invested over R$ 13 million in the equipment the process needs. As a result, we expect to increase efficiency and add further value to the company”, said the executive.
The area serves the hygiene and cleaning, insecticide, veterinary, space deodorizer, automotive, civil construction and industrial sectors. Today, 60% of aerosols are sold on the domestic market and the remaining 40% are purchased by JBS.
The entire JBS Embalagens Metálicas’ aerosol line is tested for leaks and includes a robotic palletization, packaging and film protection process to ensure greater safety and accuracy throughout the process, from production to delivery. Additionally, it has one of the most modern production lines in the world, which already complies with environmental regulations that will take effect in 2020, based on climate agreements signed with the European Union.
JBS is one of the world’s leading food industry companies with approximately 235,000 employees in over 20 countries. The company owns a portfolio of brands that are acknowledged for their excellence and innovation, such , as Doriana, Friboi, Moy Park, Pilgrim’s Pride, Primo, Seara, Swift, Gold’n Plump and others, serving over 300,000 customers of more than 150 nationalities worldwide. The company’s focus on innovation also reflects its management approach to related businesses in areas such , as leather, biodiesel, collagen, personal hygiene and cleaning products, natural wrappings, solid waste management solutions, metal packaging and transportation. JBS has adopted best corporate governance and sustainability practices throughout its value chain and its operational management focuses on guaranteeing high food quality and safety and animal welfare.
Corporate Communications Department
+55 11 3144-5364 | 4996 | 7997